Chartway Federal Credit Union’s We Promise Foundation knows that for a child battling a life-threatening illness, having a reason to smile can be one of the most powerful weapons in even the most formidable fight. At the precise moment when a courageous child needs more than medicine, the credit union’s charitable arm gives them a dose of hope by making their dream come true.
Throughout the past year, Chartway’s We Promise Foundation has been holding numerous fundraisers aimed at raising money to make a difference for children in the communities it serves. From its 8th Annual Diamonds in the Sky Gala emceed by The Fosters Actress Teri Polo, to its 15th Annual Charity Golf Classic attended by LPGA player Jill McGill, its 4th Annual Red Carpet Celebrity Handbag Auction where it auctioned off couture handbags donated by celebrities including four-time Best Actress Emmy Award Winner, Michael Learned, and American Idol Season Six favorite, Melinda Doolittle, just to name a few, the foundation was able to achieve a new fundraising milestone in 2013.
As a result of its historic efforts, the We Promise Foundation board approved grants to 16 charitable organizations, totaling an astonishing $924,300. These funds, including $124,000 in grants that were awarded earlier this year, will be disbursed to the following non-profits who share its mission:
- The Make-a-Wish Foundation of Greater Virginia – VA
- The Make-a-Wish Foundation of Utah – UT
- The Make-a-Wish Foundation of the Texas Gulf Coast and Louisiana – TX / LA
- The Make-a-Wish Foundation of Central and Northern Florida – FL
- The Make-a-Wish Foundation of Eastern North Carolina – NC
- Children’s Hospital of the King’s Daughters – Virginia Beach, VA
- St. Mary’s Home for Disabled Children – Norfolk, VA
- Toby’s Dream Foundation – Virginia Beach, VA
- Roc Solid Foundation – Chesapeake, VA
- Families of Autistic Children of Tidewater – Virginia Beach, VA
- EQUI-KIDS – Virginia Beach, VA
- Dixie Regional Medical Center – St. George, UT
- Angel’s Hands Foundation – South Jordan, UT
- Ability Found – Salt Lake City, UT
- Rock-N-Jock Charities – Warwick, RI
- The Matty Fund – Wakefield, RI
“At our organization, our commitment to improving the communities in which we live and serve reflects our unique generosity of spirit,” said Ron Burniske, president and CEO of Chartway FCU. “One significant way we are able to do just that is by raising money to make dreams come true for children battling life-threatening illnesses in our communities. We could not be more grateful for the support of our employees, our members, and our business partners who have contributed this year so that young warriors who face adversity with tremendous courage and strength may have the opportunity to dream big.”
Since 1999, the credit union and its We Promise Foundation have raised more than $5,800,000 to bring smiles to the faces of thousands of children.