Grant requests are reviewed in their entirety to ensure they meet our criteria. While the We Promise Foundation is unable to accommodate all requests, we will focus our support for those organizations or entities that best meet our community involvement objectives. Deadline for grant requests is November 15th. All grant requests will be reviewed in our December board meeting.
criteria for Eligibility
- Be a part of a community in which the foundation’s founding member, Chartway Federal Credit Union, has a physical location or a large concentration of members.
- Provide a service that fulfills our promise to provide life-changing experiences that bring joy, hope, and smiles to children facing medical hardship or illness.
- Provide a service that supports the foundation’s mission: “As Chartway Federal Credit Union’s charitable arm, We Promise strengthens the communities we serve by partnering with companion charities, sponsors, and contributors to provide the financial support needed to make dreams and wishes come to life for children facing medical challenges.” The Foundation will not provide funding for education or research.
- Services must be provided for children 18 years of age or younger.
criteria for ineligibility
- Individuals, including those seeking scholarships or fellowship assistance.
- Organizations that receive 5% or more of their funding from the United Way.
- Advertising or marketing activities.
- Political, labor, fraternal organizations or civic clubs.
- Requests from religious organizations that are denominational or sectarian in purpose.
- Individual pre-K through grade-12 public or private schools.
- Colleges and universities.
- Organizations that discriminate on the basis of race, religion, age, color, sex, disability, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation or veteran status.
- Organizations outside the United States.
- Requests that are sensitive, controversial, harmful or pose a potential conflict with the interest of the Foundation or its founder, Chartway Federal Credit Union.
- Sports, athletic event or athletic programs.
- Labor, social or fraternal organizations.
- Travel-related events, including student trips or tours.
- General support for medical centers or hospitals.
- Development of production of books, films, videos or television programs.
- Memorial campaigns.
- Endowment campaigns.
- Organizations less than two years old.
All grant requests are reviewed in their entirety to ensure they meet our criteria. While the We Promise Foundation is unable to accommodate all requests, we will focus our support for those organizations or entities that best meet our community involvement objectives.
Grant requests must include:
- Cover letter prepared on business letterhead outlining a description of the organization’s need.
- Completed Grant Application Form.
- 501(c)(3) IRS exemption determination letter (tax-exempt charitable organizations)
- Copy of Part 1 of IRS Form 990
- Attachments or supplemental documentation, such as brochures, photos, etc. These items will be accepted but cannot be returned.
Grant Review ProcessAll submitted grant request are due by November 15th each year and will be reviewed for eligibility. Grant applications will be reviewed each year during our December board meeting.
Applications are to be sent to:The We Promise Foundation 5700 Cleveland Street, Suite 101 Virginia Beach VA 23462
Note: No electronic forms will be accepted for review.The Board of Selection will review all applications and determine if a grant is to be awarded, and the dollar amount of that grant. Upon award of a foundation grant, the recipient organization or entity is required to complete and return a Use of Funds Report outlining in detail the use of funds received. All grant requests are Due by November 15th of each year.